International Development Research Center (IDRC)
Research Title: Gender & Violence in Urban Areas
Principal Investigator (s): Dr. Nausheen H. Anwar
Details: Expectations of gender roles may play a significant role in fueling different types of violence. Researchers will investigate drivers that establish gender roles and the part they play in shaping violence among urban youth in four working-class neighbourhoods of Karachi and Rawalpindi/Islamabad.
Researchers will investigate how gender roles may underlie different types of violence. They will also examine how improved access to public services, opportunities, public education, and media might change and/or reduce violence in urban Pakistan.
The project seeks to:
- understand how gender roles contribute to violence from household to community level
- understand how gendered access to livelihoods, water supply, sanitation, and hygiene and vulnerability to hazards may contribute to violence
- find policy prescriptions for improving poor people's access to high-quality social networks and capital to address violence.
The research will produce an understanding of the social capital and the creation of violent spaces in the communities. The study will produce the following outputs:
- records of public and private incidences and types of violence in selected neighbourhoods, making the data available for analysis
- training workshops for university students and practitioners, including a workshop handbook
- engagement with the public through social media about the study and its findings
- academic journal publications based on findings
- policy option paper and workshops with policymakers exploring viable policy options, including a brief to be disseminated
- photo exhibition based on the photographs taken by community members with disposable cameras provided to them
- workshop with Pakistani diaspora organizations, such as the British Pakistani Foundation, to explore ways to address violence in Pakistan.
Further details: https://www.idrc.ca/en/project/gender-and-violence-urban-pakistan